Duplication; Disclaimer | Inquiry Unlimited | Looney Lobster | Eureka | Westward Expansion
The Donner Party
as part of Westward Expansion from Eureka!
a constantly changing URL database with content relevant to elementary school curricula
1846 - The Donner Party
- Research the Donner Party taking notes while using a URL site, an encyclopedia and a picture book.
- As a character in the Donner Party, use the notes to create an illustrated journal containing 6 - 7 entries which reveal important incidents and discoveries. Do not dwell on cannibalism!
- Organize a focused narrative which:
- includes background information about how and why the Donner Party were traveling
- contains information of what happened along the trail to the Donner Party
- uses supporting details to explain how the Donner Party situation affected the growth history of the United States!
- Create an artifact packet (use a gallon plastic bag) which includes primary source documents, miniature props, and a descriptive index of the contents related to the Donner Party.
- 1846 - Donner Party crosses the Oregon Trail and John Sutter sends for help
(Additional Donner Party site)
- Student challenge to create a journal interpretation of experiencing the life of a Donner Party member based on suggested supportive readings.
- Lavender, David. Snowbound
As of December 4, 2003, you are visitor to look into the Donner Party.
[Return to: Westward Expansion Index | Literacy resources | Revolutionary Period Activities | Boston area and global links ]
Eureka! is a work in progress originating from the Joseph Lee School and Inquiry Unlimited
Copyright © 1999 Marjorie Duby All Rights Reserved.
Last modified: May 19, 2008
Unless otherwise indicated, this website and its contents are the property of Marjorie Duby and are protected, without limitation pursuant to United States and foreign copyright laws. All rights reserved.
Disclaimer: The staff of Inquiry Unlimited attempts to provide appropriate, informative educational links. We check and update links frequently. We cannot be responsible for the content, use of, or quality of materials on any website other than our own. To the best of our knowledge, graphics on this site are public domain. If you find otherwise, please notify us and we will remove them immey.