Inquiry Unlimited | Looney Lobster | Revolutionary period | USA timelines | Literacy resources
What might we deduce about the people and regions of
New England and Virginia
from analyzing 2 passenger lists from 1635?
- consider tallying the information by common attributes: gender, age, first names, occupations.
- create stem-and-leaf plots or bar graphs
- compare and contrast the type of social groupings sailing to New England and to Virginia
- construct a portion of an imaginary "found" passenger list containing data that supports the pattern of information you observed from the original lists.
- using prior knowledge, discuss how the geography of New England and Virginia and life in England in the 1600s might have affected who sailed
Needed: Passenger list from New England and Virginia; student
assessment and rubric used.
Last modified: February 23, 2017.
Copyright 2002. This is the intellectual property of Marjorie Duby.