Boston as the Classroom | Abolitionism Challenge | Underground Railroad Booklist | Student Slave Narratives | Earl Conrad's Charles P. Wood Manuscripts
Page 1 - General Affidavit of Harriet Tubman
Earlier attempt for Civil War Benefits (previous Charles P. Wood attempt - June 1, 1888)
Analyze this document using Bloom's Taxonomy.
- Observe the overall document, focusing on the top half and the bottom half content.
- Identify when this document was written.
- Locate the names of the witnesses.
- Who was the notary public?
- Reproduce Harriet's signature.
- What facts reveal that Harriet could not write?
- Which statements must be verified about Harriet's military claims?
- According to the document, why did Harriet have two witnesses?
- What two services did Harriet claim to have performed in hospitals?
- For what purpose did Harriet command scouts?
- In which conflict did Harriet serve?
- From whom did Harriet take orders and directions?
- How much money does Harriet request in her claim?
- According to the document, where will we find additional information related to her claim?
- Locate the phrase that states that Harriet is involved in the case.
- What facts can you locate in the document that shows that Harriet is aware of additional information existing on annexed copies?
- Use the Word Bank and Affidavit facts to write a column for the local newspaper, an online newsletter, or a television broadcast.
- In the first person, as a witness to the gathering of the information for the Affidavit, create a diary entry including the Word Bank and facts.
- Instead of using the formal affidavit form, create an alternative questionnaire form including the Word Bank. Use the same categories of information. Then, as Harriet's scribe, complete the form with her information.
Student performance of understanding - Written Language Application
- Word bank: affidavit, affiant, notary public, witness, claim, annexed, War of the Rebellion
- Introductory paragraph including the background of who is present and what will go on.
- A second paragraph relating three services claimant reports providing.
- A third paragraph relating any additional information related to this claim.
- A concluding paragraph relating the final legalities of the affidavit process completed at that time.
Copyright © 2009 Marjorie Duby - Inquiry Unlimited - All Rights Reserved. - Last modified: February 22, 2017.